“After seeing the amazing response to this program from talented students, we are confident that the field of visual arts will continue to grow into the future,” said Jay Vannatter, Executive Vice President, Nikon Inc. “By providing these ten deserving recipients with academic scholarships, we can empower new generations to innovate through storytelling and content creation.”
2018 Nikon Storytellers Scholarship Winners:
- Cassie Chang – California State University – Fullerton (Film)
- Carter Knopik – University of Nebraska – Lincoln (Film)
- Pearson Ripley – Ryerson University (Photography)
- Ernest Pund – University of Southern California (Film)
- Jall Cowasji – New York University (Film)
- Leah de Leon – Chapman University (Film)
- Mushfica Masud – Feirstein Graduate School of Cinema (Film)
- Nicolas Antaya – Michigan State University (Journalism)
- Sofia Camargo Hoyos – New York University (Film)
- Zachary Krahmer– Syracuse University (Photography)
The Nikon Storytellers Scholarship Judging Panel:
A collection of Nikon representatives, industry professionals and creatives were a part of the judging panel responsible for evaluating photo portfolios and video submissions. Evaluations were based on the students’ ability to effectively tell a story visually and the overall quality of their work. “I enjoyed the creativity and personal flare that each of the students weaved into their submissions,” said participating judge and Nikon USA Ambassador, Joe McNally. “The quality of all of the submissions demonstrates the power of visual content to tell stories and how these students are truly finding unique ways to share their perspectives.”
The Nikon Storytellers Scholarship judging panel included the following professionals:
- Alyssa Adams – Eddie Adams Workshop Founder
- Deanne Fitzmaurice – Ambassador, Nikon USA
- Dorte Vener – Nikon Photo Contest Winner
- Hiro Okumura –Director of Sales and Marketing, Nikon Canada
- Indira Williams Babic – Photo & Visual Resources Director, Newseum
- Joe McNally – Ambassador, Nikon USA
- Kristian Bogner –Ambassador, Nikon Canada
- Mary Calvert – Nikon Photographer
- Melissa Ghionis – Nikon Photographer
- Mike Corrado – Senior Manager, Nikon Inc.
- Steve Heiner – Senior Technical Manager, Nikon Inc.
- Tim Rasmussen – Digital Photo Editor, ESPN
For more information on the latest Nikon products, please visit www.nikonusa.com.
Nikon 100th Year Anniversary
Since the company was established in 1917, Nikon has cultivated its status as a pioneer of optical technologies around the world. Guided by a corporate philosophy of “Trustworthiness and Creativity,” Nikon provides a wide range of products and services globally by harnessing advanced opto-electronics and precision technologies. Nikon is proud to celebrate their 100th anniversary from July 2017 to July 2018.
Nikon Inc. is a world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo and video capture technologies; globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for an award-winning array of equipment that enable visual storytelling and content creation. In 2017, Nikon celebrated a legacy of innovation with its 100-year anniversary celebration. Nikon Inc. distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories, Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras and Nikon software products. Nikon Corporation, the parent company of Nikon Inc., announced the production of 100 million NIKKOR lenses, creating a new milestone in Nikon’s heritage of superior optics. For more information, dial (800) NIKON-US or visit www.nikonusa.com, which links all levels of photographers and visual storytellers to the Web's most comprehensive learning and sharing communities. Connect with Nikon on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Vimeo, Flickr and Snapchat (@NikonUSASnap).