Metering System: Nikon's Advanced Exposure Metering System includes 3D Color Matrix metering with improved algorithm, a flexible Center Weighted metering and Spot metering corresponding to any of the 11 selected focus areas.
Usable Lenses: All AF-D, AF-G, AF-I, AF-S and AF VR Nikkor lenses provide full AF and metering operation. AI-P lenses provide manual focus w/electronic rangefinder and full metering operation. AI lenses provide manual focus w/electronic rangefinder, aperture priority and manual exposure mode, C/W and Spot Metering operation.
Film Advance: Four film advance modes, including Single (S), Continuous Low-Speed (CL) for up to approx. 3 fps, Continuous High-Speed (CH) for up to 5.5 fps (or 8 fps with optional Multi Power Battery Pack MB-40) and Continuous Silent (Cs) for nearly silent operation at approximately 1 fps.
Autofocus: Autofocus system inlcudes Multi-CAM 2000 Autofocus (AF) Sensor Module, with advanced high-speed, high-precision 11-area AF system with 9 cross-type AF sensors. Also includes Four AF Area Modes such as Single Area AF, Dynamic AF with Focus Tracking and Lock-On(TM), Closest Subject Priority Dynamic AF and Group Dynamic AF.
Shooting Modes: Program, Flexible Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual. Also allows for exposure compensation, Auto Exposure/Flash Bracketing.
Flash: Nikon's Creative Lighting System (with SB-800/600 Speedlights) includes i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash, Wireless Advance Lighting capability and AUTO FP High-Speed Sync capability up to 1/8000 second.
- Type of Camera: Integral motor autofocus 35mm SLR (Single Lens Reflex) camera with electronically controlled focal-plane shutter.
- Exposure Modes: Programmed Auto, Flexible Program, Shutter priority, Aperture Priority and Manual
- Picture Format: 24mm x 36mm (standard 35mm film format)
- Lens Mount: Nikon F Mount (With AF coupling, AF contacts)
- Usable Lenses: All AF-D, AF-G, AF-I, AF-S and AF VR Nikkor lenses provide full AF and metering operation. AI-P lenses provide manual focus w/electronic rangefinder and full metering operation. AI lenses provide manual focus w/electronic rangefinder, aperture priority and manual exposure mode, C/W and Spot Metering operation.
- Viewfinder: Fixed eyelevel pentaprism, built-in diopter adjustment (-2 to +1m-1)
- Eyepoint: 18mm (at -10m-1)
- Focusing Screen: B Type BriteView clear screen Matte II, interchangeable with six other optional focusing screens
- Autofocus: TTL phase detection, Nikon Multi-CAM 2000 autofocus module
- AF Detection Range: Approx. EV -1 to EV +19 (at ISO 100)
- AF Area Mode: Single Area AF, Dynamic AF, Group Dynamic AF or Dynamic AF with Closest Subject Priority
- Metering System: Three built-in exposure meters; 1005 Pixel RGB 3D Color Matrix II, Flexible Center Weighted and Eleven Spot meters
- Metering Range: (at ISO 100 with f/1.4 lens) EV 0 to EV 20 in 3D Color Matrix II and Center-Weighted, EV 2 to EV 20 in Spot
- Exposure Compensation: With exposure compensation button; + 5 EV range, in 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV steps
- Auto Exposure Bracketing: Built-in; Number of shots; 2-7 compensation steps 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV steps
- Auto Exposure Lock: By pressing AE-L/AF-L Button
- Film Speed Setting: ISO 25 to 5000 for DX-coded film; ISO 6 to 6400 can be manually set
- Shutter: Electromagnetically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter with built-in shutter monitor
- Flash Synchronization: In Programmed Auto or Aperture-Priority Auto, shutter operates from 1/250 to 1/60 sec. in normal sync. 1/250 to 30 sec. In slow sync; in Shutter-Priority Auto or Manual exposure mode, shutter operates at speed set, or at 1/250 if speed is set between 1/250 and 1/8000 sec. Auto FP High Speed Sync with Custom Setting in all modes to 1/8000sec.
- Flash Control: TTL flash control by combined Five Segment TTL Multi-Sensor with single component IC and 1,005 Pixel RGB sensor; i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash with SB-600/800; film speed range in TTL auto flash: ISO 25-1000
- Ready Light: Speedlight attached, lights up in red when Nikon dedicated Speedlight is ready to fire, or blinks to warn of insufficient light for correct exposure
- Accessory Shoe: ISO518 hot shoe contact, digital data communication (sync contact, ready light contact, TTL Auto flash contact, monitor contact, GND) safety lock provided
- Self Timer: Electronically controlled; 10 second duration; blinking LED indicates self-timer operation; cancelable
- Film Loading: Film automatically advances to first frame when camera back is closed
- Film Advance: Automatic advance with built-in motor, three modes available (S: for one frame advance, CL: Continuous low speed shooting, CH: Continuous high-speed shooting, CS: Continuous silent low-speed shooting)
- Film Rewind: Choice of automatic or manual; automatically rewinds at the end of the roll or when two film rewind buttons are pressed, rewind speed with 36 exp, roll of film Approx. 7 seconds (12 seconds in CS Mode)
- Multiple Exposure: Activated via shooting menu
- Power Source: Battery Holder MS-41 provided (two 3V Lithium batteries) Optional Multi Power Battery Pack MB-40 and AA type battery holder MS-40 available (for eight alkaline manganese, lithium or NiMH batteries or one rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4); built-in battery back up
- Weight (without batteries): Approx. 34.4 oz
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 6.2 x 4.7 x 3.1 inches
Ask your questions. Share your answers.
Can you use infrared film in this camera? I ask this because high end canon film cameras can not due to an infrared counter in the camera.
When using infrared film on this camera it is recommended that you cover the 'film confirmation window' with duct or electrical tape to prevent fogging of the infrared film.