Metering System: Exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering using a new 1,005-pixel RGB sensor to read a scene's color as well as brightness and contrast. Flexible Center-Weighted Meter enables sensing area size to be changed (with custom setting). Spot Metering changes the meter's sensing area to correspond to the manually selected focus area.
Film Advance: Exclusive new powerful motors and CPU enable a high-speed film advance of up to 8 frames per second even with automatic Focus Tracking operation. Selectable automatic advance with the built-in motor drive, S (single-frame), CL (Continuous Low), CH (Continuous High) or CS (Continuous Silent) shooting mode.
Shooting Modes: Programmed Auto, Shutter priority Auto, Aperture Priority Auto and Manual.
Usable Lenses: All AF-D, AF-G, AF-I, AF-S and AF VR Nikkor lenses provide full AF and metering operation. AI-P lenses provide manual focus w/electronic rangefinder and full metering operation. AI lenses provide manual focus w/electronic rangefinder, aperture priority and manual exposure mode, C/W and Spot Metering operation.
Autofocus: Nikon's exclusive new cross-ranged, five-area autofocus sensor (Multi-CAM 1300) system covers a wider area than any system before it in both the horizontal and vertical ranges in the viewfinder.
Flash: Shutter operates at 1/250 sec. or slower speeds with Nikon Speedlight at X contact (transistor type).
LCD, Video and Photo Gallery images are for illustrative purposes only.
- Type of Camera: Integral motor autofocus 35mm SLR (Single Lens Reflex) camera.
- Exposure Modes: Programmed Auto, Shutter priority Auto, Aperture Priority Auto and Manual
- Picture Format: 24mm x 36mm (standard 35mm film format)
- Lens Mount: Nikon F Bayonet Mount
- Usable Lenses: All AF-D, AF-G, AF-I, AF-S and AF VR Nikkor lenses provide full AF and metering operation. AI-P lenses provide manual focus w/electronic rangefinder and full metering operation. AI lenses provide manual focus w/electronic rangefinder, aperture priority and manual exposure mode, C/W and Spot Metering operation.
- Viewfinder: Fixed eyelevel pentaprism, high-eyepoint type, built-in diopter adjustment
- Eyepoint: 20.5mm
- Focusing Screen: Nikon advanced EC-B-type screen; interchangeable with 12 other optional screens
- Autofocus: TTL phase detection, Nikon Multi-CAM 1300 autofocus module
- AF Detection Range: Approx. EV -1 to EV +19 (at ISO 100)
- AF Area Mode: Single Area AF, Dynamic AF with Focus-Priority and Continuous Servo AF with Release-Priority
- Metering System: Three built-in exposure meters; 3D Color Matrix II, Center Weighted, EV 2 to EV 20 in Spot
- Metering Range: (at ISO 100 with f/1.4 lens) EV 0 to EV 20 in 3D Color Matrix II and Center-Weighted, EV 2 to EV 20 in Spot
- Exposure Compensation: With exposure compensation button; ± 5 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Auto Exposure Bracketing: Built-in; can shoot two or three different exposures with a variable exposure compensation in steps of .3 EV, .7 EV or 1 EV
- Auto Exposure Lock: By pressing AE-L/AF-L Button
- Film Speed Setting: At DX position, automatically set to ISO speed of DX-coded film used; manual setting possible (ISO 6 to 6400)
- Shutter: Electromagnetically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter
- Flash Synchronization: In Programmed Auto or Aperture-Priority Auto, shutter operates from 1/250 to 1/60 sec. in normal sync. 1/250 to 30 sec. in slow sync; in Shutter-Priority Auto or Manual exposure mode, shutter operates at speed set, or at 1/250 if speed is set between 1/250 and 1/8000 sec. 1/300 TTL High-Speed Sync can be selected using Custom Setting #20 in Shutter-Priority Auto or Manual exposure mode
- Flash Control: Five-segment TTL Multi Sensor used for TTL auto flash control
- Ready Light: Speedlight attached, lights up in red when Nikon dedicated Speedlight is ready to fire, or blinks to warn of insufficient light for correct exposure
- Accessory Shoe: Standard ISO type hot-shoe contact; ready-light contact, TTL flash contact, monitor contact; mount receptacle for SB-27, SB-26, SB-25's Posi-Mount System provided
- Self Timer: Electronically controlled; 10 second duration
- Film Loading: Film automatically advances to first frame when shutter release button is depressed once
- Film Advance: Automatic advance with built-in motor, three modes available (S: for one frame advance, CL: Continuous low speed shooting, CH: Continuous high-speed shooting, CS: Continuous silent low-speed shooting)
- Film Rewind: Choice of automatic or manual; automatically rewinds when film rewind button and lever are used
- Multiple Exposure: Activated with multiple exposure button
- Power Source: Eight AA-type batteries or optional Ni-MH Battery Unit MN-30
- Weight (without batteries): Approx. 42.7 oz
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 6.2 x 5.9 x 3.1 inches