January 5, 2016
Nikon's New SnapBridge Connectivity Makes it Easier Than Ever to Seamlessly Transfer and Share Images
Powered by Bluetooth Low Energy, New Nikon SnapBridge Enables Seamless, Always-On Sharing
LAS VEGAS, NV – Today, Nikon Inc. announced the launch of SnapBridge via Bluetooth low energy – a breakthrough innovation offering always-on wireless connectivity with mobile smart devices for transferring images.
Building on Nikon’s heritage of pushing the envelope for innovation in imaging technology, this move raises the bar yet again because the Bluetooth-powered connectivity of SnapBridge is seamless, energy efficient and provides photographers with a wealth of convenient, connected services.
This technology signals Nikon’s focus on building up innovations in the software area, establishing the camera as part of the ecosystem of personal devices. SnapBridge will be a standard feature in almost every Nikon camera from 2016 onwards, beginning with the new D500.
SnapBridge via Bluetooth Low Energy enables the continuous and immediate transfer of images from the camera to a compatible mobile device as they are captured in real time, transforming photography into a social, connected experience. This is achieved automatically without the need to activate image transfer from the camera, while also keeping power consumption low for both devices. Users can also continue to enjoy mobile internet connectivity during image transfer, allowing them to check their e-mail or access social media while syncing their photographs.
The pairing of Nikon cameras and compatible mobile devices begins with the SnapBridge application, available for iOS® and Android™ on Apple AppStore® and GooglePlay™.2
Features of the New SnapBridge Application
- Simple, Intuitive Setup to Pair with Mobile Devices - SnapBridge-integrated Nikon models can be constantly connected to a compatible smart device3 once the mobile application is installed. For convenience, the connection only needs to be configured once, unlike previous Wi-Fi® transfer applications, which require new set-up each time the user’s device is connected. SSID and password set-up that is usually required when connecting for the first time is no longer necessary. Up to five smart devices can be paired with the camera.
- Seamless Transfer of Pictures, Even While Shooting - Photographers can toggle between the option to transfer images automatically during or after shooting in their camera menu. The camera intuitively switches from Bluetooth low energy to Bluetooth to transfer the data even when the camera is turned off. Images are transferred to smart devices as 2-megapixel (Full HD) images in JPEG format. Original JPEG pictures can be also transferred.
- Embedding of Image Information - Information can be embedded into the image conveniently using the SnapBridge application. Users can select up to two types of information, from copyright and image information, to additional texts and logos, to be placed in the image for personal image protection and identification.
- Remote Control Functions During Shooting - The SnapBridge application’s remote shooting4 function allows users to confirm through-the-lens images on a smart device screen in real time before releasing the shutter via the application. Additionally on COOLPIX cameras, zoom control and the camera’s self-timer can also be controlled via compatible smartphone, offering many possibilities and greater freedom during shooting.
- Automatic Synchronization of Location and Time Information - The SnapBridge application takes the location and time information of the user’s smart device and automatically synchronizes the camera’s to it, removing the need to manually change dates and location information of the camera when traveling abroad. Users can start shooting immediately upon arrival without having to worry about inaccurate location and time settings that will be reflected in their image data.
- Seamless Sharing to Social Media and NIKON IMAGE SPACE - Seamless sharing to social media applications is supported by SnapBridge. With a registered Nikon ID, Nikon users receive unlimited online storage for 2 megapixel images on NIKON IMAGE SPACE. Images transferred to smart devices in the 2-MP format can be configured to upload automatically to their NIKON IMAGE SPACE account from the SnapBridge application.
Nikon, At the Heart of the Image™. Nikon Inc. is a world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology; globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for an award-winning array of equipment that enables users to tell their stories through amazing photos and videos. Nikon Inc. distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories; Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras; 35mm film SLR cameras; Nikon software products and Nikon sports and recreational optics as well as the Nikon 1 compact interchangeable lens camera system. Nikon Corporation, the parent company of Nikon Inc., recently announced the production of 95 million NIKKOR lenses in 2015, creating a new milestone in Nikon’s heritage of superior optics. For more information, dial (800) NIKON-US or visit http://www.nikonusa.com, which links all levels of photographers to the Web's most comprehensive photo learning and sharing communities. Connect with Nikon and other photographers on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Vimeo and Flickr.
# # #
1 - The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Nikon Corporation and its Affiliates is under license.
2 - Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc.
3 - Compatible iPhone® and /or iPad® or smart devices running on the Android ™ version.4.4 or higher operating system.
4 - Remote shooting is possible only with cameras that have Wi-Fi installed.
Wi-Fi® and the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED logo are registered trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
Specifications, equipment and release dates are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
Products, brand names and service names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.