Rated 4.8 out of 5 by 33
Rated 5 out of 5 by colorfotos Amazingly sharp with beautiful bokeh
I have bought this lens to go with my Nikon D600 for taking portraits and have been using it for the past two years. Ever since I have gotten this, this has become my favorite lens and have not used the other four lenses I have (50mm 1.8D, 35-70mm 2.8D, 24-85mm, and 70-210mm) so much. In the past, I have used the Nikon 85mm f/1.8D, and the Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens on different camera bodies, and they both had to be stopped down a couple of stops or so to get sharp pictures. But, this lens produces super sharp pictures even wide open at f/1.8.
Here is my impression:
* Very, very sharp even wide open at 1.8; stopped down a couple of stops, the sharpness is superb.
* Lovely bokeh - super smooth backgrounds.
* The color rendering of this lens is neutral and very pleasing on Nikon D600, especially the skin tones are natural.
* Very good price for the quality, especially compared to the Nikon 85mm 1.4G. The only other lens that I have used and liked as much for sharpness and color rendition in this price range is the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/2.0.
* Although the build quality is okay, I wish it had a metal body.
* Auto focus is fast enough and the focus seems to be spot on.
August 7, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by ajphotoimages Go-To Lens
Even in the worst light, this lens works wonders! Specializing in natural-light photography, I needed a lens that was fast, sharp, and had high shutter speed with low depth of field. I have not been disappointed. It is lightweight and versatile. Can't wait to take it to the next level!
August 2, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by NikonNeo44 85MM Review
I love this lens as much as I love the 50MM. Currently, I get more use out of the 50MM, but the 85MM 1.8G is a beast! You'll love the clarity and the bokeh.
May 28, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by SnapDad Great lens and very versatile
Just upgraded to an FX body and so still experimenting, but have found a terrific use for this lens on my old DX body. It works great as a semi-telephoto lens, which I use to snap awesome action pics of kids' hockey games! The arenas are often dimly lit compared to NHL games, but this lens lets me take bright, crisp pics at 1/500 of a second from behind the glass. At larger apertures, the skaters appear so crisp and colorful, and really pop against the soft backgrounds. Lens not long enough to shoot from stands or bench; guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and get the 70-200 mm f2.8 and pop that on my D610.
August 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Ollie DO IT
Since purchasing this lens I have found it very difficult to switch lenses throughout the day...this baby works too well!
The autofocus is nearly always accurate and moves at a decent speed.
The f1.8 creates some beautiful bokeh thanks to a 7 bladed rounded diaphragm.
and I always love a little bit of weather sealing.
Youll just keep shooting with this lens....
April 6, 2014