MELVILLE, N.Y. – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce that total production of NIKKOR interchangeable lenses for Nikon SLR cameras has reached 60 million in March 2011.
In 1959, Nikon (then Nippon Kogaku K.K.) released its first SLR camera, the Nikon F. At the same time, Nikon also released its first NIKKOR interchangeable lenses for Nikon SLR cameras, among them the NIKKOR-S Auto 5cm f/2. In the half century since, NIKKOR lenses have become the favorite lenses of a wide variety of users, and have been extremely well received by a great number of photo enthusiasts and professional photographers.
In August 2010, total production of NIKKOR lenses reached 55 million. Since then, Nikon has continued to expand the product lineup by releasing six new NIKKOR lenses for FX- and DX-format SLR cameras. As a result, the fact that NIKKOR continues to satisfy a wide variety of photographers is evidenced by production of an additional five million lenses in less than one year, bringing total production to 60 million.
NIKKOR lenses released since August 2010
* AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR (released September 2010) An ultra high-power zoom lens with magnification of approximately 10.7× that covers a broad range of focal lengths from the wide-angle 28mm to the telephoto 300mm; equipped with Nikon's latest vibration reduction system, VR II, which provides image stabilization equivalent to an approximately four-step increase in shutter speed. This lens is compatible with the FX format.
* AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G (released September 2010) A fast, mid-telephoto, fixed focal length (prime) lens that offers pleasing blur characteristics and superior resolution with a focal length of 85mm and fast maximum aperture of f/1.4. This lens is compatible with the FX format.
* AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR (released September 2010) An ultra high-power zoom lens with magnification of approximately 5.5× that covers the 55 mm to 300mm range of focal lengths; equipped with Nikon's latest vibration reduction system, VR II, and high refractive index (HRI) lens elements. This lens is compatible with the DX format.
* AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR (released September 2010) A 5× standard zoom lens with a fixed maximum aperture of f/4 throughout the entire zoom range; utilizes Nano Crystal Coat and is equipped with Nikon's latest vibration reduction system, VR II. This lens is compatible with the FX format.
* AF-S NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II (released October 2010) A fast, telephoto, fixed focal length (prime) lens with a focal length of 200mm and maximum aperture of f/2 that is equipped with Nikon's latest vibration reduction system, VR II, and utilizes Nano Crystal Coat. This lens is compatible with the FX-format.
* AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G (released November 2010) A fast, wide-angle lens that exhibits superior image quality with shooting at f/1.4 maximum aperture; utilizes Nano Crystal Coat and is equipped with Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM). This lens is compatible with the FX format.
The NIKKOR brand
As the brand name for Nikon lenses, NIKKOR has become synonymous with high-performance, high-quality SLR lenses. The NIKKOR name comes from adding "R"-a common practice in the naming of photographic lenses at the time the name was established - to "Nikko", the Romanized abbreviation for Nippon Kogaku K.K. In 1933, the large-format lens for aerial photography was released with the name Aero-Nikkor.
NIKKOR has always been ahead of the times. The OP Fisheye-Nikkor 10mm f/5.6 fisheye lens for SLR cameras, released in 1968, was the world's first lens to incorporate aspherical lens elements. What's more, NIKKOR lenses for the latest SLR cameras utilize a number of Nikon's own cutting-edge technologies, including Nano Crystal Coat, which virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths.
The current lineup of more than sixty NIKKOR lenses for Nikon SLR cameras offers a rich variety of lenses, including fisheye lenses, super wide-angle to super telephoto lenses, micro lenses and PC-E lenses.
Press Contacts: MWW Group
Geoff Coalter | firstname.lastname@example.org | 201-507-9500
Matt Kopacz | email@example.com | 201-507-9500
Nikon, At the Heart of the Image™. Nikon Inc. is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Inc. distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories; Nikon COOLPIX® compact digital cameras; 35mm film SLR cameras; Nikon software products and Nikon sports and recreational optics. In 2011, production of NIKKOR lenses surpassed 60 million, creating a new milestone in Nikon's heritage of superior optics. For more information, dial (800) NIKON-US or visit http://www.nikonusa.com, which links all levels of photographers to the Web's most comprehensive photo learning and sharing communities. Connect with Nikon and other photographers on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/nikon and get the latest news and information from Twitter by following @Nikon_USA.
April 5, 2011